A program that delves into the relationship between text and film.
Choose any or all of these book/film combos to read, screen and discuss. We’ll give you DVDs of the films and loan you copies of the books.
- Emma (1815) by Jane Austen
- Emma (1996) adapted and directed by Douglas McGrath, starring Gwyneth Paltrow
- Clueless (1995) written and directed by Amy Heckerling, starring Alicia Silverstone
- The Namesake (2003) by Jhumpa Lahiri
- The Namesake (2006) adapted by Sooni Taraporevala, directed by Mira Nair, starring Kal Penn
- The Kite Runner (2003) by Khaled Hosseini
- The Kite Runner (2007) adapted by David Benioff, directed by Marc Forster
- Wonder Boys (1995) by Michael Chabon
- Wonder Boys (2000) adapted by Oscar™ nominee Steve Kloves, directed by Curtis Hanson, starring Michael Douglas, Tobey Maguire and Robert Downey, Jr.
- Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay. Includes original short story by Annie Proulx (1997) and screenplay by Oscar™ winners Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana.
- Brokeback Mountain (2005) directed by Ang Lee, starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal
- “Rear Window,” a.k.a. “It Had to Be Murder” (1942) short story by Cornell Woolrich
- Rear Window (1954), adapted by Oscar™ nominee John Michael Hayes, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, starring James Stewart and Grace Kelly
Libraries will also receive:
- Discussion questions and background information about the art of adaptation
- Supplementary lists of book-into-film combinations for further viewing: Comic Books/Graphic Novels, Contemporary Literature, Genre Fiction, Hitchcock, Jane Austen, Nonfiction/Biopics, and Speculative Fiction. All lists will include titles from varied multicultural perspectives.
Note: If your library does not have an annual Public Performance Site License with Movie Licensing USA, please contact them at 1-888-267-2658.