The theme for 2021 is Radical Renewal. We mean radical in all aspects, as in getting back to the roots, one who encourages change, and totally excellent. Read more about The History of Radical at Merriam-Webster. We mean renewal as in to restore, refresh, and rebuild better than before. We don’t want to re-open and return to normal. We want to innovate, re-invigorate, and re-think. We want to learn from the past year, listen to our communities, and share ways to connect and engage with community members and each other through programming, services, and ideas that are maybe just a little bit radical. The theme was selected by the California Center for the Book Program Development Group, in consultation with the California State Library. We hope you love it as much as we do!
5th Annual Adult Services Symposium Format
We are planning a 5×5 format in honor of the 5th Annual Adult Services Symposium. If you’ve attended any of the past Top 5×5 presentations, you’re already familiar with the theme. If not, no worries, we’ll explain.
The Symposium will feature five presentations. Each presentation will feature five slides. Presentations will feature one or more co-presenters and be 25 minutes in length, including Q&A. After each presentation, we will have a 5-minute break. We will wrap up with one 30 minute breakout session, featuring five breakout rooms based on the five presentation ideas. Attendees can choose which breakout room to attend.
Some possible ideas for 5×5 Symposium presentations might include:
- 5 Community Partners You’ve Never Thought to Work With
- 5 Ways to Make your Library and Community More Sustainable
- 5 Things Managers Can Do to Support Community Engagement
- 5 Books that Inspire Community Discussion and Action (and how to use them in programming)
- 5 Tips for Radical Renewal in Your Library
- 5 Programs that Engage Parents and Kids around Big Issues like Equity and Climate Justice
- 5 Principles of Regeneration in Libraries and Beyond
Attendees will have access to the #symposium5-attendees channel on California Center for the Book’s Slack workspace. Please feel free to use this space to share information, ask questions, and collaborate both before and after the event. Slack invites will be sent out when registration opens, or maybe before if we’re feeling totally radical.
2021 Adult Services Symposium: Radical Renewal Timeline
- Call for Presenters Opens – March 11
- Call for Presenters Closes – April 7 @ 5 PM
- Presentations Announced – April 14
- Registration Opens – April 15 (As part of the CLA Pre-Conference and California Center for the Book program, supported by the California State Library, this event will be free)
- Radical Renewal Symposium – Tuesday, May 11, 2021, 10:00 AM – 1:30 PM via Zoom Webinar
- Recordings shared on our YouTube channel – May 20 (Will later be posted on CALL Academy)
- Survey Closes – May 28
Call for Presenters
Do you believe in the power of community engagement? Do you have innovative ideas to share? If so, we want you. Presenters should work in a California library, have worked in the past in a California library, have partnered with a California library, or in some way be closely related to libraries in California. We welcome library workers of all levels to apply.
APPLY NOW TO PRESENT. The call for presenters closes April 7 at 5:00 PM (see timeline above). Feel free to use this Call for Presenters Planning Doc to draft your responses, but be sure to apply at the link above. A copy of your application will be emailed to you when you submit the Google form.
POTENTIAL PRESENTERS – ATTEND THE OPTIONAL ZOOM MEETING! We are offering an informal Zoom meeting for potential presenters who would like to talk through ideas with a supportive team. If you are interested in attending this optional session on Wednesday, March 31 at 2:00 PM, please REGISTER HERE.
We will also provide an optional Canva template for the 5×5 slides once presentations are selected. Presenters will have access to the #symposium5-presenters channel on Slack to collaborate both before and after the event. Thank you for your willingness to participate in our Radical Renewal.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE 5TH ANNUAL ADULT SERVICES SYMPOSIUM.